Friday, July 31, 2009

Day 1- Evening

New Testament: Romans 14: 1-23
KJV NLT 19 So then, let us aim for harmony in the church and try to build each other up. 20 Don’t tear apart the work of God over what you eat. Remember, all foods are acceptable, but it is wrong to eat something if it makes another person stumble.

This passage speaks volumes to me.
Being judgemental. Oh boy that is a a facet of my life I have been trying to get a handle on. I feel very strongly about my personal beliefs and I tend to distance myself from those that don't. I remember having a discussion with one of my elders in my life about the topic of Gay marriage. I personally believe in it and the person made a comment that was opposed to it. Now as I read verses 14-19, I feel like that by distancing myself I have been ruining a relationship based on things that are out of my control. I know that I am guilty sometimes for standing firmly on my beliefs and judging others for not sharing in them and thinking theirs were bogus. But at the end of the day, God is in control and I will be bowing down to his judgement; not mine or anyone else's. Conclusion: We need to agree to disagree.

Sinning
There are some days where we do things (little white lies, bad mouthing, gossiping, etc.) that we know may be wrong but we go through with it . Well, it is wrong and and it is a sin. We know theses things but we still do it anyway. Why have we become such a society that accepts this and just keeps it moving?


* Verse 17 -18 is very important and I think that it may be a part of my new mantra: For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of what we eat or drink, but living a life of goodness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. If you serve Christ with this attitude, you will please God. And other people will approve of you, too.

At the end of my reading, I close with a verse or two from Proverbs.


Proverbs 20:12

KJV 12The hearing ear, and the seeing eye, the LORD hath made even both of them.
NLT
12 Ears to hear and eyes to see— both are gifts from the Lord.


Tomorrow's Verses

2 Chronicles 30 & 31
KJV30 KJV 31 NLT 30 NLT 31

Psalm 25 1-15

KJV NLT


Romans 15: 1-22
KJV NLT

Proverbs 20: 13 - 15

KJV NLT

1 comment:

  1. We call them small, telling white lies and such. In the end though a sin is a sin. I think workng on these is something we all need to work on. Recognizing them is as a problem is a big positive step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete