Sunday, August 2, 2009

Day 3

Changing the format a little. I will continue to read my daily readings and let you know what they are. However, since some of the reading tend to be very long I will comment on the one reading that stood out the most to me. Sometimes it might be both testament readings. Feel free though to comment on any of the readings and let's get some real discussion going.

2 Chronicles 32 & 33:1-13

KJV
NLT


King Hezekiah accomplished a really great thing when he rebuilt the Temple of the Lord and helped to restore faith among his people towards God. And despite what the King of Assyria was trying to do by making the people doubt that God was on their side, the people maintained their faith. Their were rewarded with his defeat.

Chapter 33 got me upset because with all that Hezekiah tried to do and succeeded in doing, his successor, Manasseh, destroyed that. He put in place everything Hezekiah had previously put an end to (pagan rituals & idols). Of course God was not going to see favor in him. It happens time and time again in the Old Testament. But in the end Manasseh realized that there was only one God and he had to repent to him. Why is it that time and time again we have to be constantly reminded that God is the one true God and if we rely on him all will be right in the world. I think about my mom and her illness and there was a time when I thought I was in control over everything. When the doctors wanted to change chemo, I decide against it because based on my studies I felt it was wrong. When they wanted to stop fighting, I never gave up. I used to credit myself for why she lasted two years longer than what the doctors thought. But I don't anymore. I was not in control. I had played a part but God was the executive producer. It was all about her wn personal relationship with God. God is the reason why she lasted as long. It was through God that I had the knowledge to make mostly good decisions for her. Often our ego gets in the way , like in the case of Mansseh, and we have to eventually humble ourselves to be able to receive God and all that he has to offer. We often don't see it at first but maybe there are some fellow followers who can open up your eyes to see it. My mom was a good person and taught me that I need to put my faith in the Lord like she did. I think it paid off for her in the end. God is there for us whenever we need him and his love for us never falters. The evil one tries to creep in and our faith is often tested like Hezekiah people. But in the end we have to be sure to know who is in control and put our ego to rest.

Psalms 25:16-22
KJV
N LT

16Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.

17The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.

18Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.

19Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.

20O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.

21Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.

22Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles.

No comments:

Post a Comment