Monday, August 10, 2009

Days 10 & 11

I apologize for missing my publishing for Sunday. It was my first wedding anniversary and we spent the day together. I still did my reading yesterday and I will include both responses in today's entry. You will also see that I will add some comments that were made by my father-in-law in reference to the book of Ezra. My father and I also had a discussion on Sunday about what I have been reading and how it relates to Daniel's prophecy. I know that at some point in the week I need to do some extra research on that .

Ezra 8:21- 9:15 KJV NLT
Ezra continues on his journey with his continued faith in God , who protected his camp during that time. Amongst his camp were Levite priests. I found out after re-reading Day 9's bible verses that yet it is true that the Levites did not volunteer to join Ezra on his journey, some were hand picked to go. Some of these Levites were a part of the group of 12 priest that were in charge to watch and transport the items the king had given Ezra.They arrived safely in Jerusalem and rested for three days. After that time, Ezra went over the inventory of things that were brought along on his journey. It appears that all is right with the world until the Jewish priest came to tell Ezra how the exiles have been intermingling with the Pagans and following their practices.
My question is: what is wrong with these people? Time and time again God has given them chance and opportunity. It was for these same reasons that they were exiled, but they still continue to follow the pagans. This entire ordeal shocked and disappointed Ezra to the point of him tearing off his clothes and pulling his hair. He immediately prayed to God and acknowledging the issues that brought his people to this place originally and how God has been giving them chances to rebuild what was lost due to their ancestors.

Ezra 10:1-44 KJV NLT
I found it interesting that while Ezra was praying , a person from the group who were committing these sins, came to him and admitted to their wrong doings. He also suggested that they should make a new covenant with God. Ezra listen to him and agreed. It was ordered that all of the exiles who participated in these acts were to come to Jerusalem to settle the matter. This took a few months to do.

1 Corinthians 5:1-13
KJV NLT
Ooh OOh someone did a bad thing . Paul speaks to the people of Corinth like a parent speaks to a child They are dissappointed in what you did and lets you know how to handle it differently. The only concern I have is this talk about judgement. Too often I hear people being shunned from a church or any type of organization because they are different. Isn't our duty as Christians to get others closer to Christ. Ok I do understand why you do not want to associate with them ( worry that like the exiles in Ezra's story you may follow suit with wrong doings). I can also understand that if the persopn doesn't give the impression that they want to change , that you should do away with them. But I worry that man being man takes this idea of judging people too far.

1 Corinthians 6:1-20 KJV NLT
Paul continues on his rampage about why these Corinthians can't settle simple matters on their own instead of going to the highers ups. The underlying meaning that I get is that communication is key. All peoples involved are on the same level and could speak to each other in order to solve the situation. He also reminds us of how precious our body that belongs to God is special and should not be defiled in any way.

Psalm 31:1-8 KJV NLT

Psalm 31

1In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness.

2Bow down thine ear to me; deliver me speedily: be thou my strong rock, for an house of defence to save me.

3For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me, and guide me.

4Pull me out of the net that they have laid privily for me: for thou art my strength.

5Into thine hand I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth.

6I have hated them that regard lying vanities: but I trust in the LORD.

7I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy: for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversities;

8And hast not shut me up into the hand of the enemy: thou hast set my feet in a large room.

Psalms 31:9-18 KJV NLT

Psalm 31

For the choir director: A psalm of David.

1 O Lord, I have come to you for protection;
don’t let me be disgraced.
Save me, for you do what is right.
2 Turn your ear to listen to me;
rescue me quickly.
Be my rock of protection,
a fortress where I will be safe.
3 You are my rock and my fortress.
For the honor of your name, lead me out of this danger.
4 Pull me from the trap my enemies set for me,
for I find protection in you alone.
5 I entrust my spirit into your hand.
Rescue me, Lord, for you are a faithful God.

6 I hate those who worship worthless idols.
I trust in the Lord.
7 I will be glad and rejoice in your unfailing love,
for you have seen my troubles,
and you care about the anguish of my soul.
8 You have not handed me over to my enemies
but have set me in a safe place.

Proverbs 21:1-2

Proverbs 21

1 The king’s heart is like a stream of water directed by the Lord;
he guides it wherever he pleases.

2 People may be right in their own eyes,
but the Lord examines their heart.

Proverbs 21:3

Passage Proverbs 21:3:
3 The Lord is more pleased when we do what is right and just
than when we offer him sacrifices.

Tomorrow 's Readings
Nehemiah 1:1-3:14 KJV NLT
1 Corinthians 7:1-24 KJV NLT
Psalm 31:19-24 KJV NLT
Proverbs 21:4 KJV NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment